Saturday, June 1, 2013

My time at Merion

One can easily say that Merion is one of the greatest golf courses in the world rich with history, but I gained an even more appreciation being a fly on the wall so to speak during my time there. The staff was eager to introduce them selves and welcome me into their home and it was that welcoming that made me feel very comfortable right away. It was amazing to see what is involved for setting up a course for a major tournament from the grand stands, tv towers to logistics. There was not one person who had a confused look on there face, it was clear that they had a plan and it was moving forward to the next assignment. Some of my tasks there was to help with the measuring of the green speeds, firmness and moisture readings. I had no experience in measuring firmness so this was a great opportunity to see what were some of the target numbers they were looking for, even after a few tenths of rain was an eye opener on how taking measurements can be helpful. Let me say thank you to Matt Shaffer and the entire greens department for allowing me be a part of their team, it was a great experience. 

On my first day I was quickly thrown into brooming the greens.

When I was able to look at the shop I met Miguel, he has been
in charge of the up keep of the wickers for 41 years. 

Dave here is taking firmness and moisture readings.


My job for the better part of the week in the mornings was
taking stimp meter measurements.

Pat, one of the assistants is rolling the approaches with a
machine called the "Trans-former". 


A view from a tv tower over looking the 6th hole.

I view from the grand stand over looking the 14th hole.

Staff thinning out the native area. Yes, by hand!